Some of you may have read my post several months ago about the $100,000 Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls. They are the bomb diggity of cinnamon rolls. They are worth every bit of time and energy it takes to make them, but I realize that not everyone has the time or desire to tackle that recipe. It is not a difficult recipe, but does require several steps. Now that I think about it, selling cinnamon rolls might be a great little business for me here in Italy. I could call it The Bomb Diggity Cinnamon Roll Co. What do you think? Ok, maybe not one of my best ideas:)
These Apricot-Pecan Cinnamon Rolls are also really good, and are much easier and quicker to make. The dough is frozen biscuits, so there is no mixing, kneading, or rising required. The apricots are a nice change from typical cinnamon rolls, and there are other variations you can try with this recipe. I really want to try the chocolate cherry version. It sounds scrumtrulescent!
- frozen biscuits - 1 (26.4 ounce) package
- dried apricots - 1 (6 ounce) package
- all-purpose flour -
- butter, softened - 1/4 cup
- firmly packed brown sugar - 3/4 cup
- ground cinnamon - 1 tsp
- chopped pecans, toasted - 1/2 cup
- powdered sugar - 1 cup
- milk - 3 Tbsp
- vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- Arrange frozen biscuits, with sides touching, in 3 rows of 4 biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Let stand 30 to 45 minutes or until biscuits are thawed but still cool to the touch.
- Pour boiling water to cover over dried apricots, and let stand 10 minutes; drain well. Chop apricots.
- Sprinkle thawed biscuits lightly with flour. Press biscuit edges together, and pat to form a 10- x 12-inch rectangle of dough; spread evenly with softened butter. Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over butter. Sprinkle chopped apricots and pecans evenly over brown sugar mixture.
- Roll up, starting at one long end; cut into 12 (about 1-inch-thick) slices. Place rolls into a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet, 10-inch round pan, or 9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until center rolls are golden brown and done; cool slightly.
- Stir together 1 cup powdered sugar, 3 Tbsp. milk, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla; drizzle evenly over rolls.
- Cinnamon-Raisin Rolls: Prepare Apricot-Pecan Cinnamon Rolls as directed, substituting 1 cup golden raisins for 1 (6-oz.) package dried apricots.
- Peaches-and-Cream Cinnamon Rolls: Prepare Apricot-Pecan Cinnamon Rolls as directed, substituting 1/2 (8-oz.) package softened cream cheese for 1/4 cup butter and 1 (6-oz.) package dried peaches for 1 (6-oz.) package dried apricots.
- Chocolate-Cherry-Cream Cheese Cinnamon Rolls: Prepare Apricot-Pecan Cinnamon Rolls as directed, substituting 1/2 (8-oz.) package softened cream cheese for 1/4 cup butter, 1 (6-oz.) package dried cherries for 1 (6-oz.) package dried apricots, and 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels for 1/2 cup pecans.