I recently gave some banana bread to my next-door neighbor as a thank-you for their wonderful hospitality when we moved to our new neighborhood. I feel blessed to have neighbors that practice good ole “Southern Hospitality” even though we are not in the South. A few days later she stopped by to tell me that it was the best banana bread she ever had, and asked if she could have the recipe. I love it when that happens! I think you will enjoy them too, but you don’t have to take my word for it.
The cinnamon and brown sugar crumb topping sets this recipe apart from other banana breads. This recipe yields 12 muffins, one large loaf, two regular size loaves, or 4 mini loaves (which are great for gifts). Paired with coffee or milk, they make for a delicious breakfast or snack.
- muffins -
- all-purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- bananas, mashed - 3 large
- sugar - 3/4 cup
- egg, lightly beaten - 1
- butter, melted - 1/3 cup
- topping -
- packed brown sugar - 1/3 cup
- all-purpose flour - 1 Tbsp
- cinnamon - 1/8 tsp
- butter - 1 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl combine bananas, sugar, egg, and butter. Mix well.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased paper lined muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Combine first 3 topping ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.