My family LOVES this Chinese inspired dish so much that I always double the recipe.
The recipe calls for 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper making it pretty spicy. The first time I made it, my younger son took a drink after every bite. Now, I half the amount of red pepper. It still has a slight kick to it, but it is definitely not too hot.
Source: www.food.com Nutritional information includes one cup of rice per serving. Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 35 mins
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces - 2 pounds
- olive oil - 1-2 Tbsp
- garlic clove, crushed - 1
- ground ginger - 1/4 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes - 3/4 tsp (I only use half the amount.)
- apple juice - 1/4 cup
- firmly packed light brown sugar - 1/3 cup
- ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- cider vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- water - 1/2 cup
- soy sauce - 1/3 cup
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove chicken.
- Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved.
- Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice and ENJOY.