I have decided to occasionally feature other blogs’ recipes that I have tried and enjoyed. The blogs I choose to feature will be ones that I enjoy reading, offer great recipes or cooking information, and share similar personal values. I would also like to begin featuring recipes from friends or followers, so if you would like to be featured on my blog, please leave a comment or “like” my facebook page and leave a comment.
Many of you may be familiar with Comfy in the Kitchen blog especially if you follow the blog Women Living Well. WLW is a christian blog written with the intent of encouraging women as they are raising their families. Courtney at WLW has a huge following and was even featured on the Rachel Ray Show. Courtney often features her friend Janelle’s cooking blog, Comfy in the Kitchen. Janelle shares everyday cooking recipes that are simple and family friendly. Although I enjoy her recipes, that is not what continues to draw me to her site. Her heart for the Lord and ministering to others using her love of food keeps me coming back. I love that she has a meal ministry to share the love of Christ.
Tuesday evening I cooked Crispy Orange Beef With Broccoli. I saw this on Janelle’s blog and thought the combination of crispy, orange, and beef sounded really good. I know crispy is not a flavor, but texture is often just as important. It was delicious! I enjoyed it so much that I ate it for leftovers 3 days in a row. Unfortunately, my hubby was out of town and didn’t get to try it. I will be honest and tell you that my boys didn’t care for it. I think the combination of sirloin and orange zest just didn’t do it for them. I am also not sure they really liked the ginger flavor either. I don’t cook a lot of dishes with fresh ginger and it may have been a little too strong for them.
Before slicing, I put the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes to get it extremely cold then thinly sliced it in my food processor. It made for faster frying and the meat was really tender and easy to eat. Serve this dish with rice and a side of broccoli and you have a complete meal. I took some to a friend whose wife is out of the country and he gave it rave reviews.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
- beef top sirloin, thinly sliced - 1 1/2 pounds
- granulated white sugar - 1/3 cup
- rice wine vinegar (white vinegar with do) - 1/3 cup
- frozen orange juice concentrate - 2 Tbsp
- soy sauce - 1 Tbsp
- cornstarch - 1/4 cup
- orange zest - 2 tsp
- fresh ginger - 3 Tbsp
- minced garlic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- broccoli florets, lightly steamed or blanched - 8
- oil for frying- use 1/4 cup at a time in batches - 1 1/2 cups
- Drain beef strips in a single layer on dish lined with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, vinegar, orange juice concentrate, and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Start making your rice per package directions.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
- Toss dried beef in cornstarch to coat.
- Fry in the hot oil in small batches until crispy and golden brown; set aside.
- Drain all of the oil from the wok except about 1 tablespoon.
- Add orange zest, ginger and garlic to the remaining oil, and cook briefly.
- Add the soy sauce mixture to the wok, bring to a boil, and cook until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, and heat through, stirring to coat.
- Serve immediately over steamed rice, and garnish with broccoli.