This diabetic vegetarian recipe doesn’t sacrifice tastiness for healthiness. My hubby loved this dish and had no clue it was light. It is chocked full of veggies so you can feel great about serving this to your family. Not only is this Spinach Alfredo Lasagna tasty and healthy, it is also easy to prepare since it calls for store-bought light Alfredo sauce and the noodles do not need to be boiled before baking.
The recipe includes shredded carrots, but since not everyone in my family is a fan of carrots, I left them out.
source: www.diabeticlivingonline.com carb grams per serving: 24
- nonstick cooking spray -
- egg, lightly beaten - 1
- part-skim ricotta cheese - 1 (15 ounces) carton
- frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained - 1 (10 ounce) package
- cloves garlic, minced - 4
- freshly ground black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- light Alfredo sauce - 1 (15 ounce) jar
- fat-free milk (I used 1%) - 1/2 cup
- whole grain lasagna noodles - 6
- shredded carrots - 2 cups (4 medium) ~ I didn't add these
- sliced fresh mushrooms - 2 cups
- shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese - 1/2 cup (2 ounces)
- finely shredded Parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup (1 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl stir together egg, ricotta cheese, spinach, garlic, and pepper. In a separate bowl combine Alfredo sauce and milk.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the Alfredo sauce mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange three of the uncooked noodles in a layer over the sauce. Spread half of the spinach mixture over the noodles; top with half of the carrots and half of the mushrooms. Arrange the remaining three uncooked noodles over the vegetables. Top noodles with the remaining spinach mixture. Top with the remaining carrots and the remaining mushrooms. Cover with the remaining Alfredo mixture. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Lightly coat a sheet of foil with cooking spray. Cover dish with foil, coated side down.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes. Uncover. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until top is lightly browned. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.