Since eating clean I have learned to make many sweet treats without sugar. Instead, I use natural sweeteners like fruit, no sugar added preserves, maple syrup, honey, molasses, or stevia. I can honestly say, most of the time I don’t miss the sugar. However, about once a week I have a cheat day and will eat whatever I want, including sugar, and don’t feel guilty one bit.
These bite sized Guiltless Chocolate Oatmeal cookies are delicious. They satisfy my sweet tooth and go great with a glass of milk or cup of coffee, perfect for an afternoon snack. They are great for breakfast, too. I finished off the last of them this morning
The recipe calls for chocolate chips or dark chocolate. I added dark chocolate chunks (70% cocoa), but you could add other flavored chips, dried fruit, nuts etc. The possibilities are endless.
This recipe comes from a community cookbook which is totally my favorite type of cookbook. Tried and true recipes are always the best!!
- large, ripe bananas, well mashed - 3 (about 1 1/2 cups)
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp.
- coconut oil, barely warm - so it isn't solid (or olive oil) - 1/4 cup
- rolled oats (for gluten free use gf oats) - 2 cups ~ used 1/2 oats and 1/2 oat flour (oats ground in blender or food processor)
- almond flour/meal - 2/3 cup
- shredded coconut, unsweetened or sweetened - 1/3 cup
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp.
- fine grain sea salt - 1/2 tsp.
- baking powder - 1 tsp.
- mini chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar chopped - 6-7 ounces (I only used 4 ounces.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rack in the top third of the oven.
- In a large bowl combine the bananas, vanilla extract, and coconut oil. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the oats, almond meal, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks/chips.
- The dough is a bit looser than standard cookie dough.
- Using a 1 Tbsp. cookie scoop, drop dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes or as long as possible without burning the bottoms.