I recently discovered this Herbed Shrimp and Feta Casserole recipe in a church cookbook that I have had for several years. I just love church cookbooks. They have the best tried and true, everyday recipes. I am always looking for new recipes. I think it is an obsession. My husband says that if our family loves a particular dish they never see it again, or at least not for a very long time. Of course, we have our staple recipes like burgers, spaghetti, tacos, etc., but besides that it’s often something new. It keeps them guessing and keeps me from getting bored.
After enjoying a huge helping of the casserole my 18 year old son said, “I can’t wait to have this for leftovers tomorrow!”. My husband said it was, “good stuff”. That’s husbandese for ” that was awesome, please make that again soon”. I plan to make it again soon, at least within the year.
I don’t cook shrimp a lot simply because it is kind of expensive, but a little goes a long way when added to a casserole. To keep the cost down even more I used cooked salad shrimp instead of medium uncooked shrimp as the recipe calls for. Shrimp can become rubbery and difficult to chew when over cooked, but even after baking in the oven the shrimp was still tender and delicious.
source : Bless This Food Again church cookbook nutritional info was calculated using www.caloriecount.com and is approximate.
- large eggs - 2
- evaporated milk - 1 cup
- plain yogurt - 1 cup
- Feta cheese, crumbled - 8 ounce
- Swiss cheese, shredded - 1/3 pound
- fresh parsley, chopped - 1/3 cup
- dried basil - 1 tsp.
- dried oregano - 1 tsp.
- garlic, minced - 4 cloves
- angel hair pasta, cooked - 1/2 pound
- jar mild, chunky salsa - 16 ounce
- medium shrimp, uncooked, peeled - 1 pound (I used cooked salad shrimp)
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded - 1/2 pound
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat bottom and sides of 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In separate bowl, blend eggs, milk, yogurt, feta and swiss cheeses, parsley, basil, oregano, and garlic.
- Spread half of pasta over bottom of baking dish.
- Cover with salsa add half of shrimp.
- Spread remaining pasta over shrimp.
- Pour and spread egg mixture over pasta.
- Add remaining shrimp and top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.