I couldn’t let another strawberry season pass without sharing this recipe. This is one of my all-time favorite desserts. This recipe was created by my sister’s mother-in-law who is a fantastic cook. She served this at my sister’s bridal shower, and it was truly love at first bite. I think I asked her 3 times before the shower was over if I could PLEASE have the recipe. I am sure she thought I was crazy, but I could not help myself. I HAD to have the recipe.
Here in Italy we don’t have access to all the varieties of food products that are available in the states. It forces me to be creative or at least attempt to be creative. This recipe calls for strawberry glaze and chocolate graham crackers. Neither of which are available at my local Commissary so I had to tweak this recipe a bit. I made homemade strawberry glaze and chocolate cookies to substitute for the store-bought strawberry glaze and chocolate graham crackers. I also used low-fat ingredients for a more figure friendly version. It still turned out great! These changes are a little time-consuming so if you are short on time and the ingredients are available, I would definitely suggest using store-bought strawberry glaze and chocolate graham crackers.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Serving Size 12
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (5 ounce) package instant white chocolate pudding mix (or cheese cake flavor pudding)
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 (16 ounce) containers of frozen sweetened strawberries
- 1 carton (16 ounce) strawberry glaze
- 2 T. cornstarch
- Chocolate Graham Crackers, crumbled
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in condensed milk, pudding mix, cold milk and vanilla until smooth. Fold in ½ of the whipped topping.
- Place frozen strawberries in a saucepan. Gradually moisten 2 T. cornstarch with water until it forms a paste. Add enough water to thin this paste to the consistency of buttermilk, stir into berries. Cook and stir until thick. Cool and mix in glaze.
- Layer trifle bowl with crumbled chocolate graham crackers, strawberry mixture, and pudding mixture. Repeat twice and top with remaining whipped topping. Chill. Garnish with crumbled crackers and/or strawberries before serving.
adapted from www.recipes.com
- 2 cups chopped strawberries, washed and hulled
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 2 T. water
1. In a saucepan place strawberries and honey. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly mixed and heated through. Remove from heat.
2. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water stirring to combine. Add cornstarch mixture to strawberry mixture. Return to stove top and cook over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
Yield: about 4 dozen
adapted from Southern Living All-Time Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add eggs and 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, beating until blended.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Drop by tablespoonful onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
3. Bake at 350° for 10 to 14 minutes (I bake them 12 minutes) or until desired degree of doneness. Remove to wire racks, and cool completely (about 15 minutes).
The nutritional info includes the chocolate cookies. If made with chocolate graham crackers the nutrition info is: calories ~ 539, fat ~ 17.2
- 1/3 less fat cream cheese - 1 (8 ounce) package
- fat free sweetened condensed milk - 1 (14 ounce) can
- instant sugar free white chocolate pudding - 1 1/3 package
- cold 1% milk - 3 cups
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- frozen light whipped topping, -