I love stuffed bell peppers. Ground beef and veggies topped with cheese and baked inside a soft pepper is definitely my idea of a delicious meal. My hubby however, isn’t a bell pepper fan so I rarely make them. Recently, I tried to think of an alternative that he would like and decided to try cabbage leaves. I adapted a few different stuffed bell pepper recipes to create a recipe that we both would like. These stuffed peppers and cabbage leaves are very flavorful and the addition of crumbled tater tots to the beef mixture made them extra yummy.
This recipe makes 20 cabbage rolls. There are approximately 154 calories and 5.7 grams of fat in each roll. The nutrition facts on the yellow sticky note are for peppers.
- eggplant - 1 large
- chopped onions - 1 cup
- chopped celery - 1 cup
- green bell pepper chopped - 1
- oil - 1/4 cup
- stewed or diced tomatoes (blended) - 1 (15 ounce) can
- 93% lean ground beef - 1 1/2 pound
- bread crumbs - 1 cup
- green peppers, cut in half and cleaned - 8
- tater tots, thawed and crumbled - 5 cups
- salt and pepper - 1/4 tsp each
- Italian seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- garlic - 1 clove
- Lemon juice - 1/2 lemon
- grated cheese (your choice) - about 1 cup (optional)
- Peel and cut eggplant into cubes.
- In large frying pan with about 1/4 cup oil, cook chopped pepper, celery, onions, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning.
- Cook until onions are soft.
- Add eggplant.
- Cook on low heat until eggplant is done, add ground beef.
- After beef is cooked, stir in bread crumbs, lemon juice, and crumbled tater tots. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Place cleaned and halved peppers or cabbage leaves in boiling water approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove and drain off excess water.
- If making peppers, stuff each with mixture, sprinkle with bread crumbs. Place in baking dish with water and cook about 45 minutes or until tender. Do not cover. Once tender, top with cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
- For cabbage leaves, put about 3-4 Tbsp beef mixture on each leaf, top with cheese and fold 2 opposite ends and close by folding over the other sides. Bake covered about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Bake at 350 degrees.