Zucchini, squash, and parsnips oh my! Instead of the pasta, this dish includes a trio of fresh, light, and flavorful vegetables.
For the pesto, you can use store-bought or try this delicious pesto recipe.
Nutrition facts: Calories: 99 (6 servings) kcal; Fat: 4.7 grams;
- large parsnips or carrots - 2
- medium zucchini - 2
- yellow squash - 2
- basil pesto - 1/4 cup
- salt - 1/8 tsp. or to taste
- pepper - 1/8 tsp. or to taste
- fresh basil leaves for garnish -
- Use a julienne or vegetable peeler, cut strips or ribbons from parsnips, zucchini and yellow squash, using as much as of the vegetable as possible. Draw the peeler in lengthwise motions to make strips or ribbons.
- In a medium saucepan, add 1/2 add inch of water and heat to boiling.
- Add parsnips or carrots, cover and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash. Cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Place in a serving bowl.
- Add pesto.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.