My absolute favorite peppermint treat is Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies. I adapted Southern Living’s All-Time Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies to create this recipe.
I like sweets. I really do, but I am not usually too tempted to eat what I bake. I get more enjoyment from baking than I usually get from eating. However, I cannot resist these chocolaty delights. They get me every time. I tell myself, that I am not going to eat any, but when the aroma of warm chocolate and peppermint hits me as I take them from the oven, I can’t resist. I end up eating one or two immediately followed by a cold glass of milk. Mmm, mmm good!
- butter - 3/4 cup
- firmly packed dark brown sugar - 3/4 cup
- granulated sugar - 3/4 cup
- eggs - 2
- vanilla extract - 1 1/2 tsp
- all purpose-flour - 1 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp
- cocoa - 3/4 cup
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- salt - 3/4 tsp
- large candy canes or peppermint candy crushed - 12 canes or 6 ounces candy
- bag white chocolate chips - 1 bag (12 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat butter and sugars at medium speed until creamy.
- Add eggs and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, beating until blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cocoa, and salt in a small bowl; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.
- Beat in candy canes and white chocolate chips just until combined.
- Drop cookies using a 2 tbsp. ice cream scoop onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 10-14 minutes ( I bake mine 12 minutes). Remove to wire racks and cool completely (about 15 minutes).