The next time you are looking for a snack recipe, try these warm, melty mozzarella cheese sticks fried to perfection with a crispy bread crumb coating. They are super simple to make and so good! I had to work fast to get a picture as my husband and son were devouring them.
In my quest to find good recipes, I am not only concerned with taste, but also nutritional value. So, I baked a few of the cheese sticks with the hope of enjoying a healthier, yet delicious version. The fried sticks were amazing, the baked ones, not so much. So fry up some of these babies the next time you have a craving for some cheesy goodness.
- mozzarella sticks - 12
- all-purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- egg - 1
- milk - 2 Tbsp.
- panko bread crumbs - 1 cup
- garlic powder - 1 tsp.
- salt - 1/2 tsp.
- dried basil - 1/2 tsp.
- dried oregano - 1/2 tsp.
- vegetable oil - 2 inches deep in pan
- marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping -
- Unwrap individual cheese sticks and cut in half.
- Place flour in a bowl.
- Wisk eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Combine panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, basil, and oregano in a bowl.
- Dredge cheese sticks in flour, then egg mixture, and lastly bread crumbs until thoroughly coated.
- Freeze for at least two hours.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees.
- Fry in batches until browned, approximately one minute per side.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with dipping sauce.